Woman arrested 396 times finally gets some help from Chicago court

  “All of us are reaching out to you and offering you, maybe for the first time in your life, a hand, OK?” Judge Peggy Chiampas told Miles in the Cook County court. “But you’ve got to reach out and grab all of our hands as well.”

Chiampas called Miles a person whose behavior has “terrorized the community” for years. Miles expressed appreciation for the deal, telling Judge Chiampas, “I just want to thank you.” She added, “I’m not that person.”

Miles’ first arrest, for allegedly breaking into a vehicle, took place when she was 16. Since then she been arrested for charges including burglary, drug possession, prostitution, aggravated assault and retail theft. In 1988 alone, Miles was arrested 25 separate times. She has reportedly used at least 84 aliases throughout her lifetime.

For the past six months, Miles has been incarcerated at Logan correctional Center in Lincoln, Ill., where she has been serving time for multiple parole violations. Miles was released from jail in April of 2011, after she served a three-year sentence for armed robbery, CBS Chicago reported. But soon after her release, she was arrested several more times, for charges such as attacking local alderman James Cappleman, trespassing and public intoxication.

According to an earlier report by the Chicago Phoenix, Miles chased Cappleman down an Uptown street while carrying a knife last August. She also reportedly harassed and physically assaulted several other people on the street. After the incident Cappleman told the Chicago Phoenix that Miles, who at the time was going by the alias Charmane Boone, was adept at navigating the system and said that her crime “raises the issue about a very broken system.”

“Something should have been flagged once you get over so many arrests. Clearly, Charmane Boone was not hearing the message that society thinks she should hear,” Cappleman said. “People are intimidated to see her. We can’t have that in this community. That’s not good for anyone.”

The Sun-Times reported that a representative from Cappleman’s office was present at Monday’s hearing. A prosecutor told the newspaper that Cappleman was satisfied with the terms of the plea deal.